Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Wednesday, February 24, 2010

FULL MOON, by Vicki Lane


The first person to respond to my request for pet-related comments was Vicki Lane. Her poem for her dogs, who at the time this was written stayed in the basement, made my hair stand on end! "Electric with excitement"....oh yes, I know that dance. Two of our dogs did the electric dance this morning and woke me up! No full moon outside, though. Just morning beckoning with car sounds and neighbor dogs barking.

And doesn't the full moon make US want to dance with excitement? Vicki captures that "ancient longing" beautifully. Go to my sidebar to find the link to her wonderful blog, www.vickilanemysteries.blogspot.com.

For her memorable response, Vicki will receive a copy of my chapbook WAKE.

Full Moon ~ 4:30 AM


In the basement, dogs are restless -
Soft whining, imploring,
Door scratching, demanding,

Surfacing from sleep and warm blankets, I rise,
Push my feet into slippers and stiffly descend steep stairs.
The dogs dance, electric with excitement
As I fumble with the door.

Outside the setting moon illumines fields, woods, hills ...
Bright as night.
My heart swells; unseen fur rises and with it an ancient longing...

To run ... to hunt beneath the moon ...
Paws wet in the dew-crisp grass ...
To see forever...

Tomorrow my good friend Lisa Parker will be up, with a poem she feared was too much of a downer to post as a comment. It's about what Vicki, and several others of us who have beloved animals, have written about already--losing a pet we love. Fabulous poem. Drop back by to read it.

14 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you, Kay for the kind words and for providing the perfect illustration!

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Yay, Vicki!!!!! Loved the poem, and yes, I agree - Kay chose the MOST perfect illustration - i love it!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Well, Kaye and Vicki, I've always been partial to full moons and good poems!
We've got several more good ones coming up over the next few days.

Kathryn Magendie said...

OH! *clap clap clap* well done Vicki!

Martin said...

The time, the place, the deep-rooted nature. All come together to produce something quite special.

Tess Kincaid said...

Vicki, this is a gorgeous word painting. I want more!!

Lyn said...

I just love to fall into poetry..please set more traps !!
My house-bound kitty Milo rouses me from a deep sleep when he gets the flying fits and thinks he can pierce a wall!!
Thank you Vicki for the poem and leading me here..

Jessie Carty said...

really enjoyed your poem Vicki! Made me think of my oldest cat and how he always thinks when I walk into the kitchen that I'm getting ready to feed him tuna :)

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks to all of you who followed me over here! This place where Kay is has wonderful poetry by lots of real and very accomplished poets -- and Kay's is some of the best.

Pame Recetas said...

The poem is just wonderful, full moon moves all living creatures

Tess Kincaid said...

I had to come over and read this wonderful piece again this morning. wow.

(I sent my name, to include with the poem, to your aol address, btw. Thanks, Kay! xx)

Tipper said...

A wonderful poem written by one of my favorite authors-you can't beat that!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hey, thank you so much, all of you. Tipper, I haven't seen you around lately. Are you still blogging? I tried to call up your blog but couldn't. Special thanks to Willow for coming back to read Vicki's poem AGAIN. Good for her. To you folks new to my window, please come back again and look outside (or inside) with me.Happy Birthday, Kathryn!

Lisa Parker said...

This is wonderful! I love the primal harkening! Well done, Vicki.