Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Thursday, February 18, 2010

DOGS--OR GODS?

(This post is for Vicki Lane and her blessed dogs. )

DOG IS LOVE--yes, we've all seen this bumper sticker. But sometimes there's too much love on the sofa. Where are YOU gonna sit?

Ace of Dogs and Big Bro don't look at all ready to abandon their snoozes. Maybe the title of this photo should be DOG IS SLOB. But don't they look peaceful and, well, adorable?




And here is Ace of Dogs, looking seductive. Maybe he's in his Lord Krishna mood? He hasn't a flute of course, but just look at those eyes. Can you think of any young maiden who wouldn't follow him? He is definitely in his God mode. I swear he seems to be trying to sing to me at times, especially when he wants a treat or to jump in bed and place his head atop mine.

I found this poem today while sitting in the WNC Retinal Associates Office (yearly routine check-up), titled THE BLESSING OF THE OLD WOMAN, THE TULIP, AND THE DOG, by Alicia Ostriker, from her new book of poetry, The Book of Seventy. (University of Pittsburgh Press) Here's the last stanza.

To be blessed
said the dog
is to have a pinch
of God
inside you
and all the other dogs
can smell it

Our four dogs are blessed many times over and they sure smell like it!

7 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Than you, Kay! We are, indeed, blessed by their presence -- even when it's where we thought we wanted to sit.

Jessie Carty said...

i love a good short poem and that one made me smile even if i am cat person rather than a dog person :)

Glenda said...

I share your love for dogs. In our 45 years of marriage, we have had only four dogs because they lived so long.But each one was extremely special. The first one, Brandy, lived to be 19 years old and died on his birthday. Kodi had to be put down on Christmas 1998, and it broke our hearts. Four people cried unabashedly in an emergency clinic in Smyrna GA.
Rocky, our only mutt, rescued from abandonment, brings me such comfort and is the most loving animal I've ever seen. He loves on the cat by licking her ears and her face. Each of the wonderful pets has God in them. Love your pictures of your dogs.

Charlotte Holmes said...

Dogs are such good creatures, and yours look especially nice, like they'd be good to cuddle up with. Jim said tonight that the ones we have now will surely be our last ones. I said, I don't think so....And then there are the cats of course, differently splendid. Alicia's poem is one to remember!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Vicki, Ace of dogs loves to sleep on my bathrobe when he's not sleeping on the sofa. And then when the sofa is clear and we sit down on it--lo, the dogs come and jump up on it, and us, anyway.
Glenda, Brandy lived a long, long time. Our Arjun was pushing 18, we think, though we could never be entirely sure of his age, given his background. We aren't sure about Lord Byron's either. Having raised Bro and Poojah (not pictured) from pups, we know their ages.
As for Ace of Dogs, he was facing extermination only hours before our friend Mary Adams rescued him from the Haywood County Shelter. The thought makes me shudder.
Ah Charlotte, of course you will get another dog, no matter what Jim says. My Jim says we will get one more, only one, once these have left us. I grew up with cats, the grand total being 14 at one point, but they were mostly outdoor cats. I used to be allergic to them and probably still am to some degree. Nancy Joyner's cats Silvaney and Ivy Rowe are particularly likable. And my grandmother had large fluffy orange Persians, from which she liked to pick fleas, a la Colette!

Charlotte Holmes said...

Kay, I couldn't figure out how to post this to you, so I'm just putting it on my blog:
http://charlotte-daybook.blogspot.com/2010/02/walking-dog.html

Joan Ellen Gage Admin said...

To be blessed is to have the unconditional love of a blessed dog. I know mine is!