Welcome to where I am, where my kitchen's always messy, a pot's (or a poet) always about to boil over, a dog is always begging to be fed. Drafts of poems on the counter. Windows filled with leaves. Wind. Clouds moving over the mountains. If you like poetry, books, and music--especially dog howls when a siren unwinds down the hill-- you'll like it here.


MY NEW AUTHOR'S SITE, KATHRYNSTRIPLINGBYER.COM, THAT I MYSELF SET UP THROUGH WEEBLY.COM, IS NOW UP. I HAD FUN CREATING THIS SITE AND WOULD RECOMMEND WEEBLY.COM TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN SETTING UP A WEBSITE. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY NEW SITE TO KEEP UP WITH EVENTS RELATED TO MY NEW BOOK.


MY NC POET LAUREATE BLOG, MY LAUREATE'S LASSO, WILL REMAIN UP AS AN ARCHIVE OF NC POETS, GRADES K-INFINITY! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO READ SOME GOOD POEMS.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG, MOUNTAIN WOMAN, WHERE YOU WILL FIND UPDATES ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MY KITCHEN, IN THE ENVIRONMENT, IN MY IMAGINATION, IN MY GARDEN, AND AMONG MY MOUNTAIN WOMEN FRIENDS.




Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Machu Picchu


Well, I've been a non-blogger for the past few days. I have a good reason, though. My husband went on a once-in-a lifetime trip to Peru to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, which he did, arriving before dawn so that he could see the sun rise over the Andes. I will have photos soon, I hope, since one of his trail mates, a muy simpatica woman from Argentina took many with her digital camera and has emailed all 200 to him!

When he returned on Friday, however, he already had a slight cough, and by Saturday morning was running a fever. His appetite was fine, though, and we even had pizza for supper. Still, the fever wouldn't break, and by Sunday morning, the cough was worse and the fever much higher. Nothing to do but take him to the ER, against his will. He resists the medical profession no matter what, but this time, I would brook no resistance. He took a long time putting on shoes and socks, clean shirt, and brushing teeth, but finally I was able to get him in the car and to the ER where they immediately "masked" him and began running all sorts of blood tests, doing chest x-ray, swabs and whatnot. As soon as they heard he'd been in Peru, they feared swine flu. (Hmmm, I could write some doggerel about this experience!) One of the tests did come back positive for flu, Type A, but we are still waiting to hear about the oinkish variety.

They started him on fluids at the get-go and put him in quarantine in the hospital, where he also got hooked up to antibiotics. I was told I had to wear a mask, too, as I'd been exposed. For a little while, it was rather exciting! The first case, maybe, of swine flu in Jackson County. Soon, however, it was not so much fun, especially when they brought in the tray of awful food that evening and next morning and next lunch and so on. By then he was feeling better and ready to get out of there.

He's home now. He was able to pick blueberries this morning, though it tired him out, much to his surprise but not mine. Flu of any variety really whomps you. I am on tamiflu, just in case. I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of brief glimpses of what he traveled to Peru to see.



5 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Oh my gosh Kay. Stay in touch. Flu can be frightening and the swine thing - ouch. We await more pictures of his trip, but not before we get word that he's okay.

You both are in our thoughts and tell him to get better on the double. That's an order.

Hugs,
Sam

Vicki Lane said...

So glad he's better!

And Machu Picchu -- how wonderful! One of Earth's magical places, I've always believed (though I haven't been there.)

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Thanks Sam and Vicki, I'll hope to have some photos up soon. We took a look at a few of them last night--spectacular!
Yes, he's ok, still a cough and congestion, but he's on the mend. Thanks so much for your concern--and for your "order," Sam. I'll tell him to shape up fast! K.

Jessie Carty said...

getting sick during or after a trip is the worst! glad it wasn't swine flu and can't wait to see more pics! He was living a documentary!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Jessie, I've a great photo of him as he begins the trek, but he wouldn't be happy with me if I posted it.